mathjax

Monday, October 27, 2014

Elon Musk is starting to branch out into metaphysics

Ok I was thinking of investing in Tesla the company because I think the electric car industry is a growing part of the next generation vehicle market.  There is a greater need for electric vehicles and it is a growing market. 

Then I read this:

Tesla battles Google in race to get driverless cars on the road: Elon Musk says company will produce self-driving vehicles by 2016

When Elon Musk, who is not an expert in artificial intelligence and autonomy, claims to know we are 90% towards full autonomous cars.  But even Toyota and Daimler Benz predict the actual horizon is maybe 10 to 15 years out.  Maybe.  Claiming an unrealistic timeframe makes me think he doesn't give care to understand a business area.  People have been working towards artifical intelligence since 1970's.  I've been working in this area since 2000.  I predicted the failure of the US Army's FCS - Future Combat Systems back in 2009.  I know more about autonomy than he does. And I wouldn't stake my money nor my reputation on a megalomaniacal statements.

And then I read this


Elon Musk Compares Rogue Artificial Intelligence to Demons. Yes, Really


For those that don't know all the science jokes, when a physicist comments that a colleague is dabbling in metaphysics - that's an insult of the highest variety.  Metaphysics - is uncounted or counted philosophy. It doesn't have anything to do with natural law. So may or may not have anything  to do with physics. When Elon started to make an analogy using demons and autonomy then I realize he's not acting in a most rationale manner. 

I don't think I'm going to invest in Elon Musk anymore. He's a loose cannon. His almost failures were a warning sign. 





No comments:

Post a Comment